Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Letters to God on a Prodigal Son-Overcoming Addiction through Prayer

Bernard's Word Presents Anita Estes


Today is my pleasure to introduce to you Anita Estes. Anita has written a personal  story about the perils of addiction and how the prayer of faith has the power to destroy the plans of the enemy. I'm asking all the readers of this blog to purchase Anita's book today at http://www.anitaestes.com/landing-page.html  

1. Tell us about your newest book, Letters to God on a Prodigal Son-Overcoming Addiction through Prayer? This power packed journal and guide was birthed from the painful passage I experienced while navigating the minefield of my son's addiction. I kept a diary that contained many insightful prayers, letters and scriptures that I thought would help others navigate the turbulent waters of a prodigal's addiction, so I worked on transforming it into a book.

I added two sections, Lessons Learned and Suggestions that I thought would further help others to avoid the same pitfalls I experienced, while offering a lifeline of hope. At the time that my son was going through this terrible ordeal, I couldn't find any Christian Books on the subject that gave spiritual and practical, not textbook advice

2. What are some of the pitfalls you experienced in dealing with your son's addiction and in writing this timely and powerful book? It is sometimes very difficult for a parent to recognize the warning signs of an addiction in their teenager, especially in this culture today when drinking is so accepted. This was my downfall. I kept thinking my son was going through a stage, especially because he would repent when something bad happened, like losing his license for a year or failing out of college. He would turn back to God and do what was right for a while, but then he would fall again.

One of the pitfalls in writing the book was trying to figure out a way to take my personal experience and help others learn from it. I didn't want to offer just another informational book or book of advice on addiction, so I kept it in a journal format. I wanted others to see that God held me through this very difficult time and that He can do the same for them. I also wanted to be very honest and real because as Christians we sometimes think we need to cover up our pain and even try to keep it form God and fellow believers. I wanted to show people that you can show God your pain, cry out to Him and go through different stages with Him right alongside. The last thing you should do in a crisis is stay mad at God and stop talking with Him.

3. What did you learn from this experience? I learned that God is faithful, even when we're not, even when we get mad at Him and don;t understand what He's doing. God wants us to draw near to Him and cast all our cares, concerns, worries and anxieties to Him. He has very big shoulders to carry our burdens and for us to lean and even weep upon. I also learned that God is true to His word. You can believe His promise as long as you understand them, have faith and continue to trust God for the outcome. I also learned that it's very important to surrender your prodigal to God. That's the best place for them.



You can find Letters to God at www.anitaestes.com and at http://www.anitaestes.com/landing-page.html   Anita is offering a lot of great gifts with your purchase today.         

4 comments:

  1. Anita has written a much needed book for parents. Though my husband and I did not have this particular experience with our son, we did hit some very "rough road" in his young adult years. This book would serve well as an instruction manual for any battle-weary parent dealing with wayward children who are embracing the world instead of Jesus Christ. Anita's portrait of turning to God in prayer and asking Him to intervene is exactly what we need to do - regardless of the situation. Thanks for hosting Anita, Bernard. It would make a great Christmas gift too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a powerful book. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete